F1 2012 is designed to be the most accessible and immersive FORMULA ONE game for fans and racing game enthusiasts of all abilities. Players will feel the passion, speed and glory of the world’s most glamorous sport with a host of new features, wide-ranging technical and gameplay advancements and extensive competitive and co-operative multiplayer components. Through the inclusion of the Young Driver Test, a range of tutorials will introduce new players to FORMULA ONE racing and explain how to handle motorsport’s most exciting and responsive cars.
- Champions Mode. The 2012 FIA FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP features six World Champions – Kimi Räikkönen, Lewis Hamilton, Jenson Button, Fernando Alonso, Sebastian Vettel and Michael Schumacher. Codemasters has used this as inspiration for a new quick play feature in F1 2012 – Champions Mode. Throwing the player into the heat of the action, this scenario based game mode pits the gameragainst the six World Champions in turn in order to prove themselves to be the ultimate FORMULA ONE Champion.
- Season Challenge. A FORMULA ONE career in the space of ten races. Season Challenge sees the player start at a low ranking team and select a rival driver they think they can beat. As players beat their rival over a series of races, they will win their seat in a better car. This enables the player to work their way through the field and become a Champion, driving for one of the top teams, in ten five lap races.
- Young Drivers Test. Gamers will be introduced to the world of FORMULA ONE and learn the nuances of how to drive a FORMULA ONE car by taking part in the all-new Young Drivers Test at Abu Dhabi’s Yas Marina. Taking inspiration of the real world event where young drivers set out to earn a drive in FORMULA ONE, players will take to the wheel of a Red Bull, Ferrari or McLaren and will complete tutorials to learn how to get the best out of their car, including how and when to use KERS (Kinetic Energy Recovery System) and DRS (Drag Reduction System).
- Localised Weather. Codemasters’ FORMULA ONE series has set the standard for weather in racing games and players will be able to experience new enhancements that will raise the bar further in F1 2012. Advances in the weather system will combine with the next evolution of F1 2012’s Active Track Technology to produce localised rain showers on certain areas of the circuit. When one part of the track is wet while other areas are dry, the race will become more unpredictable and dramatic as players make game-changing strategy calls.
- New USA Circuit for 2012. FORMULA ONE returns to the USA in 2012 at the all new Circuit of the Americas, located in Austin, Texas, and players can drive on the circuit ahead of the track’s debut in November. The highly anticipated new 3.427 mile (5.515 km), 20 turn circuit includes dramatic elevation changes of up to 133 feet (40 metres) and takes inspiration from iconic corners at famous FORMULA ONE circuits, including Silverstone’s Becketts and Istanbul Park’s Turn 8. F1 2012 will also feature all of the circuits from the expanded 2012 calendar, including the return of Germany’s Hockenheimring.
- Lap Tutorials. F1 2012 will feature all-new lap walkthroughs from FORMULA ONE test driver and Codemasters technical consultant Anthony Davidson. Davidson will talk the player through a lap of each of the 20 circuits on the 2012 calendar, highlighting braking points, gearing and giving expert technical advice which will help players find extra speed on every lap.